Saturday, June 22, 2013

The ABC's Of Crafting.....Or Anything But A Card

Another wonderful and creative challenge over at STV, my home away form home.  Laurie Schmidlin challenges us to make an ABC Project.....Anything But A Card.   You can check out the details HERE.

For my entry I decided to make some Beachy Magnets using simple crafting materials.  Here is what you'll need:


Rubber Stamps, Glossy Accents, Memento Tuxedo Black Ink, Copic \Markers (or other markers of your choice) half glass marbles, (found in the floral section of your local craft store) I am using the larger ones for these magnets, heavy duty card stock, and magnets.

Trace the half glass marbles shape onto your card stock*.  Cut out cutting on the inside of the line, as you want the card stock to be a bit smaller than the back of the marble (I usually trim mine after gluing as well).  Using the Memento ink, stamp the image and color using whichever markers you choose.  I also added a bit of sparkle with a Sakura Glitter Pen.

*keep in mind that you want the traced card stock to go with that particular marble as they are all odd shapes.
 
 
 
Next grab some Mod Podge......I think it's safe to say we all have this in our stash of supplies, right?
 
 
Using a foam paint brush coat the image side of your cut out card stock and adhere to the matching half glass marble.  Remember the marbles are all different shapes and you want to keep track of what image goes with which marble.  At this point I add a bit of Glossy Accents to the edge of the card stock to seal it to the marble.  It doesn't look pretty, but it works!
 
 
 Technically you can slap a magnet on the back of these and call it a day.  I find it nicer to add them to some card stock for packaging.  Take some plain old washers, my Hubby gave me a box of them, and glue them on to a piece of card stock.  I used this awesome glue, Quick-Dry Adhesive, by Scotch.
 
I also use this glue to add the magnets to the back of the marble.

 

Then place the magnet onto the washer and check out your pretty new magnets.
 
 
 
The stamps used for this project are from Gina K Designs; Gift From The Sea, and that little green swirl is from A Little Something.

I made these smaller magnets using the same technique.  They were the gifts I made for the Pay It Forward 2013 Project I participated in.  I think they came out beautifully and the recipients seemed to be delighted.

 

Give these a try.  They are fun and easy to make in just a little bit of time.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!  It's back to the gardens for me.....love it!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Haven't done those for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a LOVE button here -- they are glorious!! (Make some with sharks on them lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these Donna! Aren't you the crafty one! Rosy you made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will any of these show up in August in a nice package shipped to Iowa? Great job Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful, my friend. There is no end to your talent...fantastic card maker, crafter, gardner, blog writer. Great project to do with my granddaughter when I get to MN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Donna. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I have GOT to try these! Living at the beach, I have no excuse. You've got my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, these are gorgeous! Your tutorial is great. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super project. Thanks for providing the great details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous, Donna! The grandkids could make these, I'm sure. (School holidays are almost upon us - this might keep them busy for a while. LOL)

    Hate to disappoint you, but I don't have Modge Podge in my stash, but it's definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Donna. Thanks for the instructions. Don't know if I will ever get to making them though! How long did they take you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I let the Glossy Accents dry overnight, but you don't have to use that. You could probably whip them up in less than an hour.

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, this is a GREAT tutorial. You are a master at this, keep them coming. No, seriously, you do a really good job. Very explicit and easy to follow. Kudos, another skill to add to your list. Must have taken you awhile to set it all up and do the actual tut. I'm so proud of you!!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow Donna...these magnets are FABULOUS...so creative and what a fun project. Thanks for the tutorial to go along with it too. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete